Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Spartan Tank WIP

Last of the land raiders (well I guess it's not a land raider anymore).  I've added the green to the spots that are going to get it.  There wasn't anything that really screamed 'paint me green'.  I had a few ideas like the front assault 'nose' area but that wouldn't have worked well with the green fist emblem.  I think it would have taken away from it.  Because the tracks are open to the air, I figure the dark colour that they will become will be sufficient to break up the white.  We'll see!

Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Spined Chaos Warbeast Complete

Here's my finished chaos spined warbeast.  He had to undergo some surgery as I left him on my deck during a little bit of wind and he flew off into a piece of slate walkway and lost some spines.  Now all repaired, I present him!  I'm slowly adding more daemon-like models to my chaos army and this purple makes him stand out yet still fit in with the muted schemes I've chosen so far.  It also let me paint something purple which I've never done yet.  I might try a gross yellow down the road.  I never knew how large this model was which is why I also included a scale representation with a 40 mm base below.  Maybe someone else will have luck on google when trying to make a choice like I was.  The detail on this model is awesome.  Everything about it is gross.  My wife thinks its disgusting which means whoever the designer was did a great job conveying the warp!

Tuesday, 4 November 2014

[Emerald Fists] Land Raider Achilles Complete

Here's my finished land raider achilles, complete with chapterhouse studios sponsons.  I figure since the fluff (at least on forgeworld's infosheet) says that the achilles is big in Imperial Fist armies, I would need one for myself.  I really like the tank, it's a beast and one can't go wrong with a thunderfire cannon.  I've added small script work on various green areas.  Nothing you can see from 3' away but noticable up close and in pictures.  Also the weapons are all on magnets.  I'm sure a variant will come out someday that I'll want to try out.  I should point out that the CHS sponsons were a bit warped so I boiled the pieces and then clamped them on while hot.  This let them cool perfectly plum.

Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Land Raider Achilles WIP

I've made more progress on my achilles.  I went with green around the top copula this time to offset all of the white.  The last land raider I did in a white scheme was too bare on top and I ended up adding a large chevron.  I think this looks much cleaner which is my style (I think).  More gold touch ups and details and this will be ready to destroy!

Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Land Raiders WIP

Keeping on the land raider train, I started doing the base coating for my achilles and my spartan.  Big tanks are so much faster to paint than infantry.  It always amazes me the ease at which one can add 300 points to an army.  Also much more satisfying.  This stage is about as far as they go while being painted together.  The washing and sponging is all done and it's on to the detail.

Tuesday, 14 October 2014

[Emerald Fists] Command Land Raider Prometheus Complete

My Land Raider Prometheus is now complete.  I went for mainly a green colour to offset the rest of the army.  I would not want much of the army to be so green but for the command tank transporting the honour guard I wanted something that would stand out.  Looking at this arrayed with the rest of the army it does just that.  I've used the chapterhouse kit to give it a more armoured look and everything has magnets so I can swap it to another load out if need be.  The radar / sensor portion is built from various bits like searchlights, an aegis line, land speeder sensor and a few other pieces.  Basically I just wanted a lot of lenses.  I painted this part white so it would stand out more.

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

[Emerald Fists] Command Land Raider WIP - Marble Fail

Here's my attempt to make a marble-ish pattern on my land raider.  It did not turn out.  Anyway first picture shows the green basecoat.

Tuesday, 30 September 2014

[Emerald Fists] Command Land Raider WIP

My second land raider is going to be painted a bit different than the first.  Instead of being all white I wanted to do an inverted scheme.  To start I painted all of the white parts and then sealed them with varnish.  These photos show teh start of shading and the final product before moving on to the green.  I taped all of the white off.  You can see that I'm not very good at taping!  There is a lot of it but it covered everything and that is what is important right!  Now it's all ready to go.  I'll start applying the green when I get some time

Thursday, 25 September 2014

Spined Chaos Beast WIP

Here's more progress on my spined chaos beast.  This early into my 'escalation' challenge with a friend and he's dropped out.  He managed to get a nice amount painted but switched up armies a few times over the last few months for tournaments (he's an avid competitor) which left him little time for a hobby army.  It was nice to have the incentive to get a few of these done though.

The final colour I went with here was a spacewolve grey drybrush and a black wash. 

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

[Emerald Fists] Wave 5

Next up are a whole lot of land raiders and some air support.  I've got a Spartan, two storm talons, a land raider achilles and another generic land raider.  Somebody is going to get shot up!  Original article and fluff on the storm talons: http://theambit.blogspot.ca/2013/01/conversion-storm-talon-mark-ii-night.html