Purple Heart Chess Board, and Storage Solutions

It was probably inevitable that I made a chess board. I used the opportunity to try out a 'fancy' wood. I grabbed enough purple heart and walnut to make the board and spent a long time on the internet looking for board designed I liked. I went with a raised design (there's a dado around the edge) and a chamfer on the top and the bottom so it floats a bit. The inside is hollow and was designed with a dado to allow clips for wood movement; but I couldn't find any and made the bad choice to just glue the board on instead. 6 months later and it obviously had cracked on one edge. The worst part is I knew better but convinced myself after reading a few forum posts it would be fine. Don't take the risk! 


I made a bade out of felt for it as well so I could store it without getting it scratched. All that protection and there's a crack... if it gets to the point where it's horribly large I'll probably try to break the 1/4" plywood bottom off and reassemble it properly.



On a more positive note, I made a finger jointed oak box and trays for the pieces I ordered online from The Chess Empire. They're wonderful pieces and the customer service was great so I will acknowledge them here.




Comments