Kingdom Death Atnas the Childeater

It was time to start on some large models from Gambler's Chest and I was still in the Christmas spirit. This model too me quite a long time, especially after such a long painting break. It took quite a few evenings (I am not a fast painter). I'd seen a few alternate paint schemes but I really couldn't bring myself to not go with a generic Santa outfit. It would have been lying to myself. The white was basecoated with a light grey and then many layers of white drybrushing. I puzzled over how to paint the trim and started with a light brown but ended up putting a gold highlight on the stuff. It reminded me of some old curtain tiebacks I saw as a child with a golden cloth. For the cane, I started with the entire thing painted candy cane pattern (it doesn't actually spiral around) but the handle didn't look right so it ended up fully gold. His face is quite pockmarked and I wanted him to look like a bit of an alcoholic so I used some red wash to darken the recesses. The golds go from tinbitz up through 3 more metallics (ending with a bright silver) and a gryphon wash.

When it came time to paint the tentacles, I wasn't sure what colour to go with, but a friend suggested dark green so they tied in with the scheme and weren't overwhelming. I like how those ended up; especially since as a feature, I didn't actually like them on the model since they seemed a bit out of place. Painted more subtle they're much less out there and do give it a creepy look without looking pasted on as an afterthought. 

After I was finished painting I realized what I painted as smoke is actually intended to be horn. they're symmetrical. I'm not sure how else I would have painted them though. Maybe they're just horn enveloped in smoke.


I'm curious who these two old dudes are...


A friend lent me some snow which I think was just expensive baking soda. I tried a half dozen different recipes and combinations and settled on mixing it with white glue and white paint in an approximate 1:1:1 ratio.






Comments