Wood Serving Tray with handles - Weave Pattern - Woodworking

My previous serving tray (walmart) had an unfortunate accident so I decided to make something to replace it. I had seen a cool video on youtube about 'weaving' into a cutting board and decided to try that out.






I started by cutting a bunch of thin strips and then gluing together 3 'cutting boards'. 

Once those were dry, I used some double sided tape to attach the smaller boards to the larger one and cut a wave on a bandsaw. This video is a really good tutorial on that if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1bVVpAxF7k

After many glue ups, and placing a thin piece of maple inside, I was ready to plane it down. I kept putting it through the planer until it was about 1/4" thick so the weight would be down and I figured it would warp less.

The sides I made from walnut and cut a dado so the base/bottom could float. I finger jointed the corners and cut a 45 degree chamfer on all of the edges. I cut a 'depression' into the long sides and then attached some drawer pulls that matched the curve. I made sure that the holes for the drawer pulls were 'oversized' so that any movement of the base wouldn't be restricted by the mounting screws. 

Added some feet, finished with a few coats of linseed oil and it was all ready to get wrecked in the kitchen.











Comments