7th Continent - Flying Roots - Painted

 After picking up the last two expansions I was missing, and painting up the Fear the Devourers models, I wanted to tackle the flying roots for 7th Continent. I'm not sure if it's how they work (haven't encountered them in the game yet), but I imagine the bulbous parts to be air filled sacks that somehow levitate the plant into the air. As such, I wanted them to look 'airy'. I have an orchid with aerial roots that have a very milky white, opaque look to them and wanted to capture something similar; that is part of the plant that while organic and alive, isn't  really photosynthetic. I painted the stalks with a dark green, then drybrushed with a rotten flesh colour; then washed with dhenab stone and a green wash. For the bulbs, I used wych flesh followed by a green wash. After that, I did a 'wet' dry brush (got the brush dry, then a dab of water on it so it covered well) to make it light again (remove the green from the bulk of it). The model looked way too cold though, so I drybrushed bubonic brown over the whitest spots to give it more character.

Comments