Custom Mitre Saw Stand

I had a metal, collapsible mitre (miter) saw stand but it was hard to move once set up in my small work area, took up a lot of space when collapsed  and did nothing to help store my mitre saw. I'd previously been storing my mitre saw up in a cabinet about shoulder height and it was very hard to get down and dissuaded me from using it often.

My solution was to build a new cabinet/stand out of wood on wheels. I started when it was cold outside, so I precut everything and brought all of the pieces inside to assemble and glue in my small laundry room.
I assembled it with glue and pocket screws similar to my mobile work bench. It's likely way overbuilt but solid is better! It actually took me 5 iterations of planning (it probably took 2x as long to design on scraps of paper as it did to actually build). I wanted to make sure it had room for both a drill press that was still in the mail, and my shopvac. My shop vac storage solution was sub par and I wanted to solve that now. I used cheap OSB material for the back and walls. This should be more than enough to strengthen the box.


Now the shop vac fits, and I've installed hooks for a tie strap to stop the vacuum from 'walking' when it's on. The table top is just sitting there as a placeholder currently, as I had to cut out notches for the 2x4 you can see extending higher than the bench top on the right. More on that after. I made sure to put it on casters too so I could easily move it in and out of storage, and in practise, move it around while working.



On the right hand side, I build a second, raised table top. This allows it to function as an extension to support longer boards and as a clamp surface so I could lock down other tools when needed. The height of this piece matches my mobile work bench so they can work in tandem for supporting long work pieces. The top is a piece of laminated 3/8" plywood (I had it lying around and didn't want to buy another 3/4" plywood sheet). On top of this, I've added 1/8" hardboard. Given the structure inside the stand, this should be more than sufficient thickness. No sag should be noticeable. You can see the mitre saw won't turn fully to this side (the saw supports a 75 degree cut) but I can't imagine I'd need that, and if I do, it swings 75 degrees left too. 65 to the right should be plenty.


To support long projects on the left, I build a fold out arm. It's a simple wood frame on a piano hinge. A dowel holds a 2x4 leg when it folds up. This side has been notched so the saw can rotate the full amount for weird cuts.


I've attached two doors, the vacuum side opens and secured fully when in use so it's flush and out of the way. In the vac compartment I've added a slot to hold all of the attachments and a large hook to hold the cord when stored. Above you can see supporting wood for a cut. Behind the stand you can see where the tool ultimately gets pushed back and stored. The mitre saw gets rotated so it fits.


He're's an example of how I can add a grinder, drill press or band saw temporarily and secure it for work to the raised clamp table. A simple 6" clamp holds the tools securely so they don't walk.

Comments