Project - Mobile Workbench

After finishing my tablesaw stand on wheels, I ended up watching a bunch of youtube 'safety' videos on proper table saw use and scared myself into wanting a proper outfeed. Since I use my garage for parking a vehicle, I needed everything to be compact and mobile. So I decided to replace my stationary workbench (which has given years of use) with something more functional. So I built a new work bench that is on wheels and is slightly narrower (more room to park) and can be spun around and used as an outfeed table on whichever side is needed. I made sure it was 1/8" shorter than the table saw so that there's no hangup when boards move through.

 The wheels are rated for 300lbs each and I've had no problem standing on it to reach stuff in the rafters. I used the plans from here as a starting point but had to modify them a bit for the type of storage I wanted and to support the wheels I bought properly. Youtube "basic mobile workbench" and the guy has a video worth watching if you want to make a bench; though I do caution I had to modify it to suit my needs.

The bench top is two 3/4" pieces of plywood glued together, with a piece of hardboard nailed on top.  I left enough overhang to support adding a vice and added two cupboards and 3 drawers (I ran out of scrap wood to make the 3rd drawer in this photo). All of the handles were leftovers that I'd hoarded 10 years ago after swapping knobs out in my kitchen and I reused wood from the old work bench anywhere I could. On the leftmost cupboard, I store my shopvac as well so its always nearby the tools I'm using. You can also notice the little cubbyhole my table saw stand can wheel under for storage. The next step will be to paint the brown cupboard white to match, and make a little door out of scrap to cover the table saw.
before

after

Comments