Tarkonis Pattern Basilisk

I couldn't find a pattern online for an armageddon pattern basilisk hull so I decided to make my own armoured crew compartment.  I really wanted a low profile compared to what was offered so instead of attempting to copy the forgeworld model I improvised. . .




I cut out the typical heavy bolter hull mount and made a craddle for the earthshaker.  You can see the tripod it rests on in the picture to the left.  I also made the cannon mobile but after I finish it up it won't move anymore.  I'm going to add cloth to the opening where the cannon comes out of the hull to cover up the lack of interior.  From what I've read this is done with glue and cloth/tissue/gauze so it won't be able to move at that point.

The model now has the height profile of a leman russ without a turret so it looks really slick compared to that ugly shield on the stock model.


I think I'll make one more and sell my third one.  Two should be enough for most games I play.  That will put me at seven heavy support options using 5 seperate model varients so I already have too many to squadron up.  I don't see any need to run 3 of these together.


I made some progress on painting the rest of my armoured company but ran out of graveyard earth.  Base coating 8 tanks used up an entire paint pot and I only managed to get a 2nd coat on 4 of them.  Off to the store to buy more so I'll have enough to do these basilisks.

Comments

  1. Now THAT looks completely badass. Nicely done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SICK. I like the Forgeworld model, but this is nicer still. Really unique looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the low-slung look. I've also always hated the stock bassie with the huge gun-shield. Like how you maintained the ability to super-elevate the gun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the conversion. I would recommend 2 things.
    1st is a personal preference of mine, I would make the back more boxy by having the panel go straight down below the gas tanks instead of being angled back into the hull. To give the feel of room for the crew and ammo.

    2nd a tip on gap filling in addition to greenstuff try using baking soda and supper glue then sanding it smooth. With very little practice you can get a very nice finish on the joints were you used plastic card.

    Check out my blog posts using this technique to finish out a wheeled chimera. http://warfrog.blogspot.com/2011/09/chapterhouse-wheeled-chimera-pt-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks War Frog. I was actually reading your blog yesterday when debating the purchase of that kit.

    With my crack filling I add GS then when dry carve it flush. In the angled areas this usually works really well. I've also used bondo and sanded it.

    The areas I usually have a problem are curved surfaces (like where that copula extends from the hull) or areas in crannies where you wouldn't be able to fit sand paper anyway. How would your method work here? Is the super glue a better technique than using bondo? I would assume the fumes and dust from both are equally hazardous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted a reply on my blog as well as an update to the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is a really amazing conversion. How on Terra do you find the time?

    It reminds me of the Swedish "S" Tank.

    Great Job TA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment